Tips for selecting the right footwear for you:
Good footwear is one of the biggest investments you can make. Your feet support a quarter of all the bones in your body, so it is important to ensure your footwear is appropriate. When purchasing new shoes do these five tests to ensure your feet stay healthy and protected.
- Push: the back of your shoe in. If the back doesn’t move the heel counter is firm and will support your foot.
- Bend: the shoe where the ball of your foot sits. The more flexible your shoe is here the easier it is for your foot to bend.
- Twist: the middle of your shoe. This section of shoe supports your foot arch and the weight of your body and should be relatively firm.
- Tie: your laces, do up your buckles or secure your velcro. These securing mechanisms help keep your foot supported in your shoe and stops your toes from jamming the end of the shoe.
- Rule of thumb: using your thumb press the space between your longest toe and the front end of your shoe. This thumb width is needed as when you bend your foot it lengthens.
Tricks to keeping your footwear in great condition:
Maintenance of footwear: to keep your shoes in good condition here are some tips to follow:
- Apply a waterproofing treatment to your new leather shoes – this helps keep your shoes from absorbing water from rain or the wet ground
- Break them in slowly, wear them around the house for a few hours until they are comfortable
- Clean them inside and out, a soft nail brush is perfect for reaching the nooks and crannies.
- Dry them away from a direct heat sources as this can cause cracking
- Store your footwear clean and dry in a well ventilated area out of direct sunlight